Discovering Auroville: An alternative community
Join me in Auroville: the experimental community/township, complete with unending learning, futuristic sustainable practices, and, a youthful space that never ages…
Built around the unique concept of a sustainable community township with plentiful opportunities to learn any skill that one would want, Auroville is quite daunting and confusing for people who have never experienced it. A little ahead of Pondichery, Aurvoville is the perfect place to take a break, meet people from all walks of life bound together with an undying thirst for learning and sharing, and get connected with one of the best examples of ‘living together for one another’.
Founded by Mother Mira on the concept of a world community towards sustainable living and human unity, Auroville is a whole different world. With the dream of an ideal society, Auroville is home to over 2500 people and innumerable number of international travelers who frequent Auroville to understand such living better, and with the hope to find some new learning. India’s Auroville was envisioned as an international community free of government, money, religion, and strife. Though the intent and dream remains true, it does have it’s own challenges and dilution.
The energetic and eclectic Auroville will surprise you in every way – its people riding around the city in mopeds and cycles, people sitting in groups and creating music from instruments they have made themselves, workshops being conducted throughout the day on every imaginable topic. And this is one place in India where you would find the people from all over the world (not just travelers) with a common motive and just brilliant!
There are countless activities going on in Auroville simultaneously and a lot of inspiring people that one
can meet, but the challenge is always understanding ‘how to experience Auroville’. There are umpteen
number of communities in Auroville engaged in different aspects of sustainability, be it farming, cooking,
yoga and meditation, sound bath, building, martial arts, music, bamboo, arts and craft, sound baths,
glass-making, education, horses, and sooooo much more…. These projects are spread all over Auroville!
And beyond these, there are tons of social events that are always happening in Auroville… But it’s not
easy to know about these unless you know a local Auroville person or are pointed in the right direction
to start with.
There is a knack to knowing what to do, when does what happen, where to find out about them, getting to them, and well, making the most of the Auroville experience. So don’t miss out on this opportunity!! We will go all over on our ‘special rides’ to experience the real essence of Auroville, the different projects, courses, and be part of lots of social events, as I we have candid discussions on my experiences and perspective of Auroville.
The love you experience in Auroville is sure to create that permanent thirst for learning and experiencing world-community! Every person who has come to Auroville once, has definitely come time and again. Live that life beyond your constricted and monotonous workspace and unleash that child! Start the new year on an absolute fabulous positive note!! Make this your Christmas and a pre-New Year gift to yourself – the awareness of an alternative life!!
Departure Time25th Dec at 11am
Return Time30th Dec at 10am
Weather/ What to carry
- Mosquito repellent (very important)
- Rain jacket/ poncho
- Light and comfortable clothes
- Sun glasses
- Cap/ hat
- Water bottle
- Day backpack
- Shoes (not hiking boots)
How to get there:The nearest international and domestic airport is Chennai International Airport. If would prefer travelling leisurely by rail, Chennai Central Railway Station is well-connected to all the major cities in India. From Chennai to Auroville:
- You can take a metro (right outside Chennai central station or from Chennai airport) to Koyambedu bus stand. Take the Pondichery ECR bus and get off at the Auroville junction (you can tell the conductor to let you know when to get off)
- If you are arriving into Pondichery, there are plenty of buses from Pondichery bus stand to Auroville
- Transport within Auroville
- Shared accommodation
- Selected activities
- Guided tour of interesting initiatives, ideas and people leading offbeat lives
- Insights on sustainable living and individual sustainable practices
- An unforgettable experience
- Food - there are tons of interesting food options in Auroville that you might want to try! (I will list them out to you!)
- Selected courses and workshops
- Personal medicines
- Travel to and from Auroville
Cancellation policy:Indian trips and tours:
- Upto 2 months before the event, full refund
- Between 2 months and upto 15 days before event, 50% refund
- Less than 15 days, no refund
- Upto 2 months before the event, 75% refund
- Between 2 months and upto 1 month before the event, 50% refund
- Less than 1 month, no refund