Jobs that travel the world
A question that is always asked is ‘how can I travel the world as I earn along the way’ and if it is possible to do so. My answer is a loud ‘yes!’. Though not the cosy office with fancy suits and coats, you have the luxury of fresh air, on a beach or a mountain, in another part of the world, making every day and penny you earn, count with experiences! Here’s how I have learnt to earn my life of travel!
If you’ve got any of these questions – which many the way have been asked a zillion times to me over the years, are “How can I travel and earn?” or “How can I survive on the road?” or “How can I start traveling without much much money?” Chances are that these very thoughts have crossed your mind (they cross all of our minds at some point!) and there’s also a chance that you haven’t found any answers. As a result, you haven’t yet taken that first step to start traveling.
First up – Yes. You can make money and travel much more easily than most people think. But I realized that I should probably back-up that claim with some actual examples. Secondly, you need a wee bit of courage and belief that you can make it! And most importantly, you need to prioritise your needs. A life of travel is about minimalism. You realise that you are happier with what you need than whatever you ‘want’ to own. It’s a great detox!!!
So here’s a list of ways you can make money while traveling. But do keep in mind that this is is just a fraction of the opportunities that actually exist! You investigate figure things out as you go….
1.Teach English – Teaching opportunities are all around the world in non-English speaking countries. This if a great way to connect with locals as well. Many a time you don’t need to be certified. But mind you, you need to be really good in your language and communication skills. Send in a few applications to schools in places you are intend to spend a longer duration in, with details about you and how you can make a difference for them – doubly check for mistakes in the application!
2. Hostel and resort jobs – Resorts and hostels all over the world often hire staff from other countries for a variety of positions, such as front desk, restaurant or the activity/entertainment department. Hostels are often looking for new staff who are willing to work some hours each day, either at reception or cleaning or maybe both, in exchange for a free bed each night. At times, they throw in free food as well. Not a bad way to travel, not spend a penny, and get some cool vibes right?!
3. Online freelancer – This requires skill indeed. People with a background in web designing, digital media marketing, programming, illustration, content writing, consulting, legal work or able to do any type of data entry work, have loads of possibilities online. There are tons of platforms that connect freelancers with people and companies who need work done virtually. Even if your background is not tech, there is loads of freelance work to be found in dozens of different fields on the web. Just do a search!!
4. Blogging – This is way more difficult than it appears. It’s not easy to earn income with a blog. The amount of time and effort required to do is much more than most people imagine. It’s not hunky-dory! If you are willing to take a chance, and looking for some extra cash without complete dependency on this, while keeping the world informed of your travels, starting a blog might be your answer. There are lady if types of blogs as well – food, places, people adventure…. List is unending! But it is a great way to relive memories and share your learning.
5. Farm help – Though very popular initially, this was a great way for me to travel! Farmers need people to harvest their fruits. And well, travelers are eat labor! We’re mid than happy!!! You just get out into the sun, grab a basket and start picking fruits. And hey! You get paid! This option is quite common for backpackers passing through Australia and the pay can include payment per kilo of fruit you pick, room, board or such. However, you must check the current rules and preferably connect with don’t locals to get such golden chances!!!
6. Teaching skills or an art — This is a classic for all travellers. Teaching yoga, healing, Ayurveda, cooking, dance and such are a great way to make some money. This is done by people who stay for a while at least in a place. The best places for these are traveller hot-spots. At times, ‘pay as you like’ or ‘by donation’ is also a classic way of not commercialising your art form though!
7. Busking — For so those musicians and artists out there, you have a great advantage; preferably of your instrument or equipment is light though. Loads of travelers, especially in Europe, play and paint alongside the busy streets and happily earn enough money to fund their stay, food and at times even further travel. It’s quite cool actually. You’ve got to be cheery and chat up with people! You would also see travelers selling their CDs and works while giving a life performance. You better have talent though!!!
Volunteering is another great idea – it won’t pay, but it’s about doing your bit along the way! Signing up for Workaway (https://www.workaway.info/)
So hang on and keep exploring… Feel free to ask me any of your queries or add on to this list! It’s never exhaustive. And no one has cracked the one and only way to do it. It all depends on your mental makeup, and your abilities. Remember to keep also open mind and not be finicky – opportunities are a learning. If you are curious, you will find ways and means!
MartinaJanuary 30, 2019 at 10:28 am
Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.
Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted
to say wonderful blog!
PriscillaJanuary 30, 2019 at 10:08 am
This is really interesting, You are an overly professional blogger.
I’ve joined your rss feed and look ahead to searching for extra of your excellent post.
Also, I have shared your website in my social networks
hiJanuary 29, 2019 at 12:11 am
Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is important and all. However imagine if
you added some great visuals or video clips
to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but
with images and videos, this site could certainly be one of the best in its field.
furtdsolinopvJanuary 6, 2019 at 11:52 am
Just want to say your article is as astounding. The clarity for your publish is simply nice and i could suppose you are knowledgeable on this subject. Well together with your permission allow me to grab your feed to stay updated with drawing close post. Thank you one million and please keep up the rewarding work.
SandraNovember 19, 2018 at 5:39 am
This has helped me immensely! Thanks a ton man… I have been toying with the idea of taking off for a while, but have been wondering how I can fund my travel. You’ve given a clear idea on how I can keep going – plus, it’ll ensure I become more conscious of my spending!
Hope we meet sometime on the road!!!
PratulNovember 19, 2018 at 5:48 am
Thats great Sandra… I am so glad that this post helped your travel. Hope to see you on the road soon
SANJAYAL VAISHNAVNovember 19, 2018 at 1:44 am
Hi ! I am Sanjayal vaishnav from chhattisgarh and wants to travel like you or you may be said that eager to join you in your travel diaries.
What can I do? Suggest me something.
PratulNovember 19, 2018 at 6:30 am
I organize few events every year in which you can join me and explore this beautiful world together. You can pick the type of event you wanna come for, as all the events are led by me. See you soon!
Swati MahasethNovember 18, 2018 at 11:46 am
Informative article . What specific travel while earn options are there if we talk specifically about India?
PratulNovember 19, 2018 at 4:45 am
Hii Swati….. All of these options are very much relevant in India. I can tell you this with my own experience. Again…. all of it comes down to how much you need.