Jobs that travel the world
A question that is always asked is ‘how can I travel the world as I earn along the way’ and if it is possible to do so. My answer is a loud ‘yes!’. Though not the cosy office with fancy suits and coats, you have the luxury of fresh air, on a beach or a mountain, in another part of the world, making every day and penny you earn, count with experiences! Here’s how I have learnt to earn my life of travel!
If you’ve got any of these questions – which many the way have been asked a zillion times to me over the years, are “How can I travel and earn?” or “How can I survive on the road?” or “How can I start traveling without much much money?” Chances are that these very thoughts have crossed your mind (they cross all of our minds at some point!) and there’s also a chance that you haven’t found any answers. As a result, you haven’t yet taken that first step to start traveling.
First up – Yes. You can make money and travel much more easily than most people think. But I realized that I should probably back-up that claim with some actual examples. Secondly, you need a wee bit of courage and belief that you can make it! And most importantly, you need to prioritise your needs. A life of travel is about minimalism. You realise that you are happier with what you need than whatever you ‘want’ to own. It’s a great detox!!!
So here’s a list of ways you can make money while traveling. But do keep in mind that this is is just a fraction of the opportunities that actually exist! You investigate figure things out as you go….
1.Teach English – Teaching opportunities are all around the world in non-English speaking countries. This if a great way to connect with locals as well. Many a time you don’t need to be certified. But mind you, you need to be really good in your language and communication skills. Send in a few applications to schools in places you are intend to spend a longer duration in, with details about you and how you can make a difference for them – doubly check for mistakes in the application!
2. Hostel and resort jobs – Resorts and hostels all over the world often hire staff from other countries for a variety of positions, such as front desk, restaurant or the activity/entertainment department. Hostels are often looking for new staff who are willing to work some hours each day, either at reception or cleaning or maybe both, in exchange for a free bed each night. At times, they throw in free food as well. Not a bad way to travel, not spend a penny, and get some cool vibes right?!
3. Online freelancer – This requires skill indeed. People with a background in web designing, digital media marketing, programming, illustration, content writing, consulting, legal work or able to do any type of data entry work, have loads of possibilities online. There are tons of platforms that connect freelancers with people and companies who need work done virtually. Even if your background is not tech, there is loads of freelance work to be found in dozens of different fields on the web. Just do a search!!
4. Blogging – This is way more difficult than it appears. It’s not easy to earn income with a blog. The amount of time and effort required to do is much more than most people imagine. It’s not hunky-dory! If you are willing to take a chance, and looking for some extra cash without complete dependency on this, while keeping the world informed of your travels, starting a blog might be your answer. There are lady if types of blogs as well – food, places, people adventure…. List is unending! But it is a great way to relive memories and share your learning.
5. Farm help – Though very popular initially, this was a great way for me to travel! Farmers need people to harvest their fruits. And well, travelers are eat labor! We’re mid than happy!!! You just get out into the sun, grab a basket and start picking fruits. And hey! You get paid! This option is quite common for backpackers passing through Australia and the pay can include payment per kilo of fruit you pick, room, board or such. However, you must check the current rules and preferably connect with don’t locals to get such golden chances!!!
6. Teaching skills or an art — This is a classic for all travellers. Teaching yoga, healing, Ayurveda, cooking, dance and such are a great way to make some money. This is done by people who stay for a while at least in a place. The best places for these are traveller hot-spots. At times, ‘pay as you like’ or ‘by donation’ is also a classic way of not commercialising your art form though!
7. Busking — For so those musicians and artists out there, you have a great advantage; preferably of your instrument or equipment is light though. Loads of travelers, especially in Europe, play and paint alongside the busy streets and happily earn enough money to fund their stay, food and at times even further travel. It’s quite cool actually. You’ve got to be cheery and chat up with people! You would also see travelers selling their CDs and works while giving a life performance. You better have talent though!!!
Volunteering is another great idea – it won’t pay, but it’s about doing your bit along the way! Signing up for Workaway (https://www.workaway.info/)
So hang on and keep exploring… Feel free to ask me any of your queries or add on to this list! It’s never exhaustive. And no one has cracked the one and only way to do it. It all depends on your mental makeup, and your abilities. Remember to keep also open mind and not be finicky – opportunities are a learning. If you are curious, you will find ways and means!